Labels

Friday, August 9, 2013

Potato Salad for a Crowd

Potato Salad for a Crowd
Barbecues and picnics are a really fun way to feast with family and friends in the summertime.  One of the classic side dishes that is always welcome at these get -togethers is the All-American Classic Potato Salad.  This recipe is adapted from a Cook's Illustrated recipe, one of Ann's favorite resources. When I was recently invited to a barbecue and asked what I could bring, this was the request. I have doubled the original recipe here, with a few tweaks to suit our tastes, so this should easily serve 12 people.  I sometimes make a double batch of this if we are having a large gathering. It's always popular!
I love Cook's Illustrated!

5 # russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
table salt
1/4 c + 2 T distilled white vinegar
3 medium celery ribs, chopped fine (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 c + 2 T minced red onion
1/2 c sweet pickle relish
1 1/4 c mayonnaise (may need additional to taste)
1 T dry mustard ( I like Coleman's)
1T celery seed
1/4 c minced fresh parsley
3/4 t ground black pepper
8 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes

1.  Place potatoes in large pot, covering with cold water by 1 inch.  Bring to boil; add 1 T salt, reduce heat to simmer.  Stir a few times until potatoes are just tender (about 8 minutes).  Do not overcook, as potatoes will be mushy.

2.  Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl.  Add vinegar, and toss gently with a rubber spatula.  Let stand until potatoes are just warm, about 20 minutes.
Cooked potatoes...

3.  Meanwhile, stir together celery, onion, pickle relish, mayonnaise, cry mustard, celery seed, parsley, pepper, and 1 t salt.  Add eggs to potatoes, and gently fold dressing in.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled.  Can be made a day ahead.  If salad seems too dry, add a little more mayonnaise, as needed.
The dressing


Dressing ingredients


Celery, onion, egg and parsley


All the ingredients ready to mix together in my extra large bowl!

This bowl measures 24" across.  Looks are deceiving here.  This is a giant batch of potato salad!
 

This is a pretty foolproof recipe (the only kind I really like).  I use a gigantic bowl to mix it in.  I got this bowl from Smart & Final several years ago and I use it frequently.  So does my daughter, and my Mom, so that tells you that we do a lot of large group entertaining!  It comes in really handy for tossed salads as well.

I hope your summer is going well and you have a picnic or barbecue on your calendar in the near future.  Maybe this potato salad will be just the thing to bring!

2 comments:

  1. I love a good potato salad! Cooks Illustrated is the gold standard for cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks good, I'll have to try it

    ReplyDelete