Labels

Friday, March 1, 2013

The Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show

by Heather
One of the events I most look forward to in February is the annual Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show. People from all over the world fly themselves and their horses in to compete in various categories during the ten days of the show. Competitors range from little tots to adults in my age range (really, really old) and it's a riot to see them in their show gear -- everything from western wear bling to tailored English habits to exotic foreign Arabian costumes. The shopping, of course, is world-class with vendors displaying furs, leathers, jewels and home furnishings.
These pets provided lots of fun growing up and the bucolic pastures were a wonderful place to ride.
We grew up with horses; the neighbor across the street had a pony that was shared amongst us and then my family bought three horses that were stabled nearby. Even though I was never the avid horsewoman my sister became, I always enjoyed being around them. We never had formal riding lessons but my sister and mother were good enough to belong to a parade unit. Tom and I (dating in our teen years) went along for the ride and cheered as they rode by in the numerous small town parades that make up a Minnesota summer. We feel right at home when we visit WestWorld to view the equestrian events at the Arabian Horse Show.

Indoor event -- judging time
Getting ready to compete...
Exiting from the show...

Each major horse farm has a stable in which the horses and their owners stay for the duration of the show. This one had a beautifully carved bar with horses' rear ends as bar stools (there's probably a joke in there somewhere).
Tom and I posing in front of one of the many stables. Note the near-perfect-for-a-horse-show Anthropologie top that I''m wearing: navy and white stripes with bright coral horses.
Accessories: gold, coral bangles from Nordstrom's; watch, purse, ring from Michael Kors; navy and gold wrap bracelet from Rue La La 

No major event at WestWorld would be complete without a little shopping!
Model Metalworks is owned by this gentleman, Eric Young and his wife, Erika, who operate it out of Mexico. The products are wonderful and so is the story behind them. Check it out at:
We loved his line so much that we bought this beautiful bowl and filled it with lemons and grapefruits from a friend's trees.
That's my sister-in-law, Marianne, working for a vendor who sells fine Italian leathers.
My favorite jacket is the middle black and tan one below. 

Okay, enough of this equine stuff. Get your steel horse ready to ride. The next big event at WestWorld (at least for us) is AZ Bike Week. Two of my favorite bands will be playing, Steppenwolf and the Doobie Brothers, along with many others. Join us April 5-14 in Scottsdale, AZ, for some of the best motorcycle riding and partying in the country!

Love,
Heather

11 comments:

  1. Good Morning ladies. I don't ride, but after having lived in a horsey community for many years, have come to know many friends that have horses. Arabians are a special breed, aren't they?

    Heather, I love your casual chic look. A great example of the accessories really elevating the entire outfit to a higher level.

    I am a new follower. I like the diversity of what you offer here.

    Have a wonderful day, Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. So glad to hear that you're following us! I do love Arabians. They're such a beautiful breed. A little flighty sometimes though. My mother's horse always provided an interesting ride. I was never sure just what she'd do!
      Heather

      Delete
  2. Those horses are one of a kind! We also have this kind of fair here every spring but it´s more of an agricultural and animal fair in one. :)

    Love your bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll have to come to Spain some spring and see your fair.
      Heather

      Delete
  3. I love navy & coral & the pave bracelet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Navy pairs so well with coral; I also love it with yellow!
      Heather

      Delete
  4. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve always loved horses but never had the opportunity to own one, more so because of the distance of where I live to the nearest stable in our place. I still dream of owning my own ranch, but in the meantime, I’ve been checking out shows much like you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can both ride vicariously by watching the participants in those horse shows. I hope your dream of owning a ranch comes true for you in the future!
      Heather

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete