Labels

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Winter Decor

by Heather

It's time to strike the Christmas set and I'm glad. Christmas decor is usually packed away by the first weekend in January but this year Ann, Sheila, and I were in Las Vegas for Blog Expo so it all had to wait another week (or two or three...). At least it comes down faster than it goes up.
Taking the decorations down would go faster if I didn't get sidetracked by starting to redecorate before Christmas is packed away. I just don't like to see empty tabletops -- and designing vignettes is a lot more fun than carting boxes and cartons to the garage. For a few minutes after the Christmas decor gets put away, the house looks empty and bare. The hubby enjoys the minimalist look, but to me it appears sterile and unloved. Accessories that have been stored during the Christmas season come out once again and I keep moving items around until I find something that clicks. Love it when I put accessories in a spot just to hold them and it turns out to be a better look than something I had planned.

The living room is the starting point and I like to add green plants and candles to the winter decor. Anything vintage looks better by candlelight (me included) and candles during the winter months (or as my niece says, "winter week" in Phoenix) add a warm glow to the room.
Creating vignettes on the shelves of the baker's rack takes time, but it's something I enjoy. I keep tinkering until I run out of time or energy; then I'm done until the next change of season. 

The top shelf of the baker's rack has two vintage (maybe antique?) brass candlesticks with crystal prisms that belonged to my English grandmother. I love seeing them up there; reminds me of visiting her for teatime. She taught me to sing "God Save the Queen" before I learned "My Country, 'Tis of Thee." 
The middle shelf is my favorite. It's outfitted for the winter with gold mercury glass candle holders and small lanterns.Tucked behind the plant and candle is a new tray with a mirrored surface and rubbed gold leaf sides.
If you look closely, you can see the decorative design that's etched onto the mirrored surface of the tray.
The lower shelf has the pair of wings that have been floating around the house during the Christmas season. I think they've found their final resting place -- at least until winter is over.
Yay! Another surface to decorate. I like to layer home accessories but this narrow chest presents a challenge
The bust of the woman is holding court on the small chest. I'm liking her too much to relegate her to the dressing room upstairs. The little vase is filled with holly branches from the tree in our yard.
The round mirror-topped table holds books, birds, and candles. With a couple of golden pears and moss balls, I think it's complete.

I'll continue the tour of the winter decor next Thursday when I'll show you what I've done in some of the other rooms. Maybe by then I'll have the wreath off the rocking horse that's perched high on a plant shelf. Or should I just add a red heart to it and call it Valentine's decor?

Love,
H

46 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Your baker's rack is full of eye candy- love the jardini/mason accented ball! What you did with the narrow chest turned out so well- the bust of the woman has to stay- really well done and so is the mirrored table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Liz. Your comments make me feel so good :)
      Heather

      Delete
  2. Amazing. I love all of your vignettes, so beautiful. YOu need to link these up to Table Top Tuesday. Stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marty,
    I'll link up this coming Tuesday! Thanks.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely vignettes. Love all of your accessories , especially the bust. The topiary balls are delightful...from your newest follower, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda, for the compliments as well as being our newest follower!
      Heather

      Delete
  5. Wow - some beautiful pieces on there - arranged beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ladies...just found you at Jody and Stan's.
    This is beautiful! I'm just winterizing my house now...although it feels like Spring here. LOL
    I'm happy to meet you~ looking forward to your adventures!
    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to meet you, Tina. It was feeling more like Spring here, too, until today. We have rain and temps falling to the 60s. We'll probably have to put up the Spring decor in just a few weeks at this rate!
      Heather

      Delete
  7. You've done a lovely job decorating that room! Love that baker's rack especially. And the colors are all just perfect together..and the lighting is so warm. Perfect for the beginning of the year!!!
    Thank you so much for sharing this post with us for Pearls and Lace Thursday!!
    Blessings,
    Doni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doni. It was great to be able to join up with you for Pearls and Lace Thursday!
      Heather

      Delete
  8. I love the baker's rack! It looks fresher than Christmas yet still wintery with all the mercury glass and candles. Well done!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karee. I appreciate your kind comments.
      Heather

      Delete
  9. Hi Heather, I love the way you decorated the bakers rack and the other vignettes are fabulous too! I am anxious to see more of your living room. Thanks for joining the Open House party and I am now a follower. xx, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. I just love the name of your blog!
      Heather

      Delete
  10. You baker's rack is amazing it. I love all the decor and the way you showcase everything so beautifully.

    I'm having a STRUT YOUR STUFF Social hop. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and come show off your best projects. Or, just come link up your blog!!

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2013/01/strut-your-stuff-social-hop.html

    I'm also looking for Pinterest Pinners to feature every week. If you are on Pinterest and are interested in being featured come link up! Who knows you might meet some other great pinners and gain a few great ideas.

    http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/12/looking-for-pinners.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denyse. I am on Pinterest so I'll look you up. Sounds great! Will also link to your Strut Your Stuff Social hop.
      Heather

      Delete
  11. Oh..I love every one of these vignettes! I have an old bakers rack that I plan to paint one of these days. Your's is so beautiful!

    I would love it if you would link this to my new linky party, "What I Accomplished Wednesdays."
    http://www.greenwillowpond.com/2013/01/what-ive-accomplished-wednesday-cha-cha.html

    Have a great weekend!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Deborah. I will definitely link up to your party this coming Wednesday, okay?
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful...I am very jealous of your plants - I cant seem to get mine to stay fresh. I am very inspired and thank you so much. (found you by the way of French Country Cottage). Best, Sandy @ The Olive and Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy,
      You shouldn't be too jealous of my plants. All of them (with the exception of the cut holly branches) are artificial. I've heard that you can keep preserved boxwood fresh by spritzing them with water, but I haven't had to do that yet and I've had them for several years :)
      Thanks for commenting.
      Heather

      Delete
  14. Wow your bakers rack looks amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine. Always fun to join your party!
      Heather

      Delete
  15. Love your vignettes! Very warm and inviting...great post!
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a perfect transition look from Christmas bringing the colors of the outdoors in during winter. Love it all! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! That's really wonderful to be featured!!
      Heather

      Delete
  17. I love how you decorated your bakers rack, so pretty! Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a wonderful week!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody. Always fun to share with Simple and Sweet Fridays!
      Heather

      Delete
  18. Looks great! Love all the greens that you mix in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. A little green makes it feel less dreary outside. Have to admit, though, the temps going forward in Phoenix will be in 70's and sunny!
      Heather

      Delete
  19. Love what you have done here with the baker's rack. It is a beautiful piece of furniture to decorate. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home! I am a new follower! You will be featured today at the next Home Sweet Home party.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sherry! Glad to welcome you as a follower.
      Heather

      Delete
  20. Insanely beautiful. You are SO talented!!! I'm off to redecorate MY baker's rack!
    - Dez :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dez. I'm not so sure about the "so talented" but your comments make me feel good! Send pix of your baker's rack, please. I love to get inspired by what others are doing.
      Heather

      Delete
  21. Wow you have some lovely collections of candlesticks, lanterns and greens. So pretty. Thanks for sharing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heather, your bakers rack is decked out beautifully. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn. Love to join your party!
      Heather

      Delete
  23. With every fiber of my being I love what you have done with this decor!!!!! L-O-V-E!!! I have a lot of respect for you taking the time to change that baker's rack out seasonally!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alycia. I'm so glad you've found our blog!
      Heather

      Delete
  24. Just beautifully done!!! You have a great eye for interesting vingettes and I am sure it is a lot of work, but so welcoming to come home to a beautifully decorated home! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana. Just discovered your comment so sorry for the delay in responding to your sweet comments.
      Heather

      Delete