Labels

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Relaxation on Boxing Day

December 26, 2012

By Sheila

Well, we did it, once again.  Another Christmas come and gone. Anything you didn't get done doesn't matter now, which probably means it never really was that important. If you are so inclined, this is the week to get out there and get next year's gift wrap and cards and decorations and Santa sweaters at steeply discounted prices.  I'm not sure there is much I need, but then again, you never know.  As for those Santa sweaters; Ann's policy is not to wear any clothing that has a face on it, and I have been smart enough to adopt that as well.  So you can take us out of the competition for the cat sweaters with the Santa hats, and even the ever-popular Rudolph sweatshirts.  Pottery Barn holly pillows are a different story, however. 

I worked December 23-25 flying you and yours home for the holidays.  Although I generally don't have to work over Christmas, I missed getting my December bid in on time (really bad move), and so I worked the days no one else requested.  Imagine that.  I decided to make the best of it and do what I could to make it as pleasant as possible for all the people I came into contact with.  After all, I have a great job and am very thankful for that.  From my wonderful crew to the vast majority of the passengers I encountered, it was a great trip. Spending Christmas Eve in a hotel with people you just met the day before can make you feel sorry for yourself if you are not careful, but really, December 25th is not in itself magic.  The important part is celebrating the reason for the season when you can make it happen with your favorite people.  My son was working those same days, so it all works out  Thanks for cooking Christmas dinner after we got home, Mom!

I have to confess that as much as I look forward to Christmas, I am also always glad when it is over.  I'm one of those people, that when it's over, it's over and I am ready to take down the decorations immediately.  But I don't.  Mostly 'cuz I'm tired and just want a day or two to lay around and do nothing except eat leftovers and cookies. Or at least nothing related to the holidays.  Maybe go for a bike ride, see a movie, or hang out in a bookstore with a latte.  All my idea of a good time.  And much more fun than hauling the Christmas boxes down out of the attic..

Today is Boxing Day celebrated by our friends in the UK and other places around the world.  My husband is from Scotland, and his memories of Boxing Day was casual fun with family and friends.  Sounds good to me.  I am all in favor of adopting more holidays that include casual fun.  Today is also Heather and Tom's Anniversary.  Happy Anniversary Friends! 

Tune in tomorrow for part one of my dining room makover.  Yep, I started this last week.  Yeah, that was the week before Christmas and days before I left on my 3 day trip.  I sent photos to Heather and Ann of my work in progress and they agreed that I am certifiably crazy.  Even better, my Mom was my assistant and took lots of photos for me so I could entertain you with my progress, so check it out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment