Labels

Monday, December 24, 2012

Have yourself a merry little Christmas...



by Heather

"How lucky I am to have had something that 
makes saying goodbye so hard." 

 - Winnie the Pooh

Christmas always brings bittersweet feelings as I remember those who are no longer with us.  My heart is broken for the people who have been affected by the tragedy in Connecticut. It's difficult to lose a loved one at any time, but at Christmas, when all is supposed to be "merry," it seems particularly painful.  My hope is that someday they will be comforted with the memories of the wonderful times they spent with their loved one.

I find decorating the house for Christmas is one way of bringing the past into the present, and reliving good times.  Memories come flooding back...

...when Tom hangs an ornament (the only one left) from our first Christmas..

...when I find the perfect places for the small, hand-stitched felt ornaments I created with my mother when I was a teen just several years before her death...

...when I add greenery to Nana's clock that was brought by ship from England when they moved here to be with their daughter, my mother -- the clock that I thought was soooo big when I was little...

...when I put Christmas cookies on the gold-embossed plate from my mother-in-law...

...when we decorate the upstairs tree with ornaments that represent our hobbies over the years...

What becomes really important to me at this time in my life is making new memories for the next generation so that they may recall good times with loved ones when they celebrate Christmases years from now....
We're set up and ready to go, making chocolate-covered marshmallows dipped in red and white sprinkles

Granddaughter Peighton and great-nephew Rowan waiting patiently while I'm microwaving the chocolate...

...tasting the sprinkles to make sure they're edible...

...concentrating to get just the right amount of sprinkles on the chocolate coating...

...admiring their finished product -- ready to be dunked in their cocoa on Christmas Eve

and a little relaxing ride after all their hard work...

And later in the evening, when it is just the two of us again, a cup of tea and a little quiet time...

And then to bed.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Love,
H



4 comments:

  1. What beautiful memories, Heather. Thank you so much for reminding me of the Christmases we spent with all of you. I loved going to your beautiful home with all the gorgeous decorations for Christmas. I look at my own little tree and see decorations that we've had since I was little. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. Love and hugs to everyone! ~Cerian and family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cerian,
      I, too, have wonderful memories of sharing the holidays with you and the rest of your family! We had so much fun with all of our cousins. Your mother, my Auntie Dorothy, always gave us the best presents that required creativity. My favorite gift was a fashion designing kit. I still remember her compliments on my budding interest in designing clothing. Looking back, she was much kinder than the drawings warranted but my nine-year-old self glowed with hearing that I was good at something I enjoyed. Ah, memories are wonderful...
      Love to you and all of our loved ones in New England!
      Heather

      Delete
  2. Lots of memories with the ornaments.... especially those of Mother's. I have some of those felt ones, too! Missing you guys over the holidays.....

    ReplyDelete