Labels

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

It's Thanksgiving Eve!

November 21, 2012

By Sheila







Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of the year.  What's not to like about getting together with family and friends to count our blessings, eat until we (almost) explode, and then kick back while the guys do the dishes?  Let's face it, how many holidays do we have that don't involve gifts, religion, or politics?  Not that I don't like gifts, religion, or politics (well, okay, not a huge fan of politics) but you get my point.  A holiday just for pausing and being thankful.  Refreshing, isn't it?

We are hosting a dozen guests this year, and like Heather we will be dining indoors and out.  Yeah, I know you can't do that everywhere, but this is when we get to rub it in that we live in the desert. As a matter of fact, my husband won a bet with Ann one year about the temperature on Thanksgiving Day.  They bet $10 for every degree over/under 70.  This was a bet made when there may have been some wine consumption at the Sante Fe Chile & Wine Fiesta.  It was 78 degrees that year.  She probably could have weasled out of the bet based on the circumstances, but she lost and she paid.  My Mom was rather appalled that David took her money, but ....he did.  Rather gleefully, I might add! 




We'll light a fire outside when the sun goes down, and enjoy dessert on the patio.  Maybe even wear a sweater? I just hope I don't end up weighing as much as the pumpkin in the photo above.  Yikes!



Among the many things I am thankful for:

My amazing family:  my dear husband (of 32 years), my three great kids and their spouses, my loving parents, my three crazy, fun brothers and their families, and of course the three grandgirls (Camryn, Charlotte and Paige) who have added a whole new dimension of fun and love to our lives.  I think my oldest son Alec said it best as a kid; "I love you and like you!".

Great friends (you know who you are; probably the only people reading this blog) including our dear friend Tami who is fighting  cancer.  She is the toughest person I know, and has taught me a lot about embracing life, living in the moment and focusing on what is most important.  Thanks for the gift of your friendship all these years.  You amaze me Girlfriend!

This makes me appreciate my own good health, and that of my family.  I am physically fit enough to do pretty much anything I want to do, and this is a gift not to be taken lightly.




The eve before Thanksgiving, when I am going over my list yet again, always seems to be a good time for me to reflect on all of this.  In preparation for the big day, I crank up some tunes and get to work.  My husband will likely offer to pitch in at this point, saying the ever-popular "Honey, do you need any help with anything?" as if Thanksgiving feasts prepare themselves and okay, I'll let him pour us a glass of wine.  I reflect on past Thanksgivings and all that I have to look forward to in the future and say a silent prayer of thanks.  So, "Cheers" and from our home to yours, I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

*Photos by Sheila taken at the Bellagio Resort in Las Vegas
 

2 comments:

  1. We have a lot to be thankful for. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks so much for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are great. Love the giant pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete